Stone plastic composite (SPC) flooring provides an ideal solution for any establishment in need of a durable and long-lasting floor. SPC flooring comprises water-resistant vinyl and a rigid core, giving it both a stunning and high-quality look.
It is the ultimate vinyl flooring material due to its;
– Light weight
– Easy installation, and
Layering and Finishing Options of SPC Flooring
Each plank of SPC flooring typically comprises a number of layers, including:
• The wear layer is the transparent top layer that protects the material from scratches and makes it easy to clean off stains.
• The vinyl layer adds a decorative element to the plank since colors and print patterns come onto the vinyl.
• The SPC layer forms the backbone of the SPC flooring material, providing a dense, waterproof core thanks to the polyvinyl chloride reinforcement and stabilizers.
• The pre-attached underpad is an optional layer made from IXPE or EVA foam, providing sound insulation and cushioning.
While durability and ease of installation characterize all SPC flooring, there are varieties with diverse finishing that mimic the natural appearance of real wood, tile, and laminate. Let’s look at some below.
• Regular Single-layer SPC Flooring
Single-layer SPC floor is the most affordable, common flooring option, with good compromise and appearance. It is suitable for a range of use, including commercial or domestic premises.
If you are working with a tight budget, a single-layer SPC floor makes a good option.
• Regular Double-layer SPC Flooring
The regular double-layered SPC floor maximizes density, improving the resistance to foot traffic. The secret lies in the sand wedge structure, which makes it more stable and, therefore, more expensive than a single-layer SPC floor.
The finishing is attractive when embossed with an EVA or IXPE underpad, which gives it a unique pattern. This makes it a favorite among homeowners because of its distinctive appearance and durability.
• EIR (Embossed In Register) Surface SPC Flooring
EIR (Embossed In Register) Surface SPC floor has a realistic wood grain pattern thanks to the film grains arranged in an identical design.
Thanks to its natural, appealing, and realistic look, this high-end SPC floor is popular with homeowners.
• Super Hard Surface SPC Flooring
Super Hard Surface SPC is the only flooring system to guarantee the hardest surface. How so? The super-hard surface SPC comprises aluminum oxide, a product popular in commercial applications requiring a higher hardness surface.
Since the super-hard surface SPC flooring is specifically formulated for use in areas with high traffic or a higher risk of staining, the design comfortably meets the demands of today’s top commercial and residential settings.
For truly premium surface protection, you can’t go wrong with SPC. But what are the benefits of SPC flooring over other regular flooring materials?
Benefits of SPC Flooring
SPC floors have a thickness between 3.2 and 7 millimeters. They are denser and more resistant to major impacts, scratches, and stains than standard floors. These traits make them ideal for high-traffic areas with regular heavy use. However, if traffic is a concern, look for planks with a thicker wear layer.
The durability of SPC flooring means you won’t have to worry about floor renovation or to upgrade for a long time.
The waterproof ability of SPC flooring protects it from moisture that can cause warping. Although you can lay the material all over the whole building, the SPC flooring is particularly ideal in areas prone to moisture, such as;
– Laundry rooms, and
Should you opt to limit SPC flooring to moisture-sensitive areas of the house, you can consider other tiling options for the rest of the floor as you wish.
Most SPC manufacturers have great confidence in their products and typically offer a 15-year warranty. With proper maintenance, SPC flooring can last up to 20 years.
Ultimately, your usage area will determine the longest it can last under intensive use.
SPC floors effortlessly fit together on top of just about any subfloor or existing floor. For example, you can lay SPC flooring over any hard surface without extensive preparation or the need for nails and glue.
When laying SPC floors, all you have to do is use the ‘snap-together’ technique to put together the pre-attached pieces and reinforce the interlocking grooves. This unique design makes them easy to install, requiring only a few simple tools like a razor or kitchen knife.
SPC flooring has a vast range of designs and colors, making it easy for buyers to identify and stick to their preferences. To make one, the various layouts require printing the patterns onto the vinyl layer.
Tip to Keep in Mind When Cleaning Your SPC Flooring
Despite the many benefits of SPC flooring, its appealing look goes unnoticed if you do not maintain and clean your SPC flooring properly. Is the cleaning process as easy as installing it?
- Right after installation, SPC floors need at least 48 hours or more for the adhesive to dry and bond properly. Any form of cleaning is not advisable within this waiting period.
- When sweeping or vacuuming your SPC floor, you may use a regular broom, a brushless vacuum, or an electric broom. Avoid using the beater bars of your vacuum to sweep or vacuum as it may damage the coating. For proper maintenance, sweep the floor weekly to remove any dust and loose dirt, but cleaning the floor after every use is advisable.
- Sometimes sweeping is not sufficient, and you might feel like mopping. When you do that, use a bucket of warm water and a mild neutral detergent. Avoid using potentially damaging, multi-surface cleaning agents like bleach, ammonia, or alcohol-based detergents on your vinyl flooring. After mopping, do not sweep the vinyl floor for some time unless it is completely dry to avoid streaking.
- Some homeowners are never satisfied with sweeping and a mopped floor. Therefore, you might prefer to go further and wax your floor. The biggest danger is using the wrong wax products on your SPC floor. To be safe, stick to professional waxing rather than performing DIY waxing. It could be the difference between replacing a new floor and getting a clean, shiny floor.
- Clean up spills immediately if you pour any liquids like water on the floor. Otherwise, a permanent stain can form. A clean, white cloth will do, then dry the area once done.
• Use recommended SPC flooring cleaning agents to remove stains like juices, red wine, food, and grease.
• Other tough stains from agents such as marker pen, paint, or lipstick require a clean, white cloth soaked in isopropyl alcohol or mineral spirit. With this, you can wipe the stain off and dry the area.
• If you encounter crayons, candle wax, and bubble gum stains, use ice to soften them, then gently scrape them off with a plastic object or any non-abrasive plastic material. Avoid using steel wool and scouring powder so as not to damage the surface.
- When you have access to hot steam, you might be tempted to use it to clean your SPC flooring because it’s a fast sanitizing solution, but it causes the most damage. Since hot steam can reach 90 degrees Celsius to kill germs and bacteria, the excessive heat seeping into the SPC flooring joining and edges can weaken the adhesive bonds and layers of your SPC flooring. Other dangers are warping, edge cupping, bending, and bubbling of floor plank.
- SPC flooring is sensitive to heat. So other than hot steam, you need to keep away other high-heat items from direct contact with your SPC floor. If you must place heated equipment onto your floor, use mats to cushion them.
- A house with SPC flooring requires clean residents, and cleanliness begins at the entrance of the house. So, it would help if you placed walk-off mats at entrances to prevent dirt and grit from tracking onto the floor. The best approach is to adopt a ‘no shoes’ policy or place mats in high foot traffic areas. It is also advisable to get friction-free mats made of soft but firm fiber, unlike pigmented rubber or latex-backed, which can cause floor damage.
- When using furniture in your house, exercise great caution by placing felt pads, castors, or wheels that must be easy to swivel, large in size, and non-staining. The fixtures should also be appropriate for resilient floors. Remember that you should also lift the same furniture cautiously when mopping or cleaning the house to avoid leaving skid marks or scratches on the floor. Pets can also be a nightmare to your SPC flooring if they have sharp or protruding claws. If you choose to keep the pets, trim their nails or claws regularly to minimize potential scratches.
We realize the temptation to handle your flooring by yourself can be great, but it’s best to hire a cleaning professional like this one once in a while, depending on your needs to avoid irreversible mishaps.
Tip: You can install SPC flooring on any hard surface, including concrete and tile. You may need to level the floor before installing SPC if it is wildly uneven, but minor irregularities do not require leveling. The product does not require a specific subfloor because its bottom layer has integrated underlayment. For professional help with installing and cleaning, reach out for assistance here.
SPC flooring is a great choice for homes with busy families. This luxury vinyl can reproduce the look of natural stone or hardwood floors at a lower cost and with less maintenance. Contact us for superior quality flooring products.